Video Dr. Schubiner on Chronic Pain and it's Cure

Forest

Administrator
Staff member
At the start of chapter 4 of his book, Alan Gordon, LCSW, writes about how he was terrified after a car crash because he was afraid he might have reinjured his back. He writes,
It was late at night, I was in pain, and I was terrified. So I did what any reasonable person would do. I called one of the world's leading experts on diagnosing pain.
You might remember Dr. Howard Schubiner from earlier in the book. He evaluated the patients in the Boulder Back Pain Study to determine whether their pain was neuroplastic or caused by structural problems. Dr. Schubiner is a board-certified internist and the founder of the Mind Body Medicine Program at Providence Hospital in Michigan. He's brilliant and insightful, but best of all, he doesn't turn off his ringer when he goes to sleep.
Dr. Schubiner (groggy): Hello?
[Alan Gordon]: Howard, I need your help! A car crashed into my passenger-side door, and now my back's killing me. I'm not sure if it's neuroplastic or structural.
Dr. Schubiner (alarmed): How fast was the other car going?
[Alan Gordon]: Five miles per hour.
(Dr. Schubiner laughs.)
[Alan Gordon]: You don't think it was fast enough to cause structural damage to my back?
Dr. Schubiner: Alan, I don't think it was fast enough to move the water molecules in your body.
To this day, I have no idea what water molecules had to do with anything, but I felt reassured. My brain calmed down, and over the next couple of hours, my back pain dissipated completely.

For those of us who don't have Dr. Schubiner's cell phone on speed dial, he was kind enough to distill his most important ideas down into a series of 6 videos. Enjoy! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask them below. (Dr. Schubiner was

1. What is Pain?

2. The Brain Creates Pain

3. Predictive Coding

4. How to Determine the Cause of Chronic Pain

5. How to Reverse Chronic Pain

6. All MRI's are Abnormal

Last edited: