Book Group Chapter 6: The Process -- discussion of The Way Out by Alan Gordon

Forest

Administrator
Staff member
Now we are getting into the real meat of the book. I hope you find the recording helpful!

As with last week, we'd love to start a discussion thread below for this chapter. So if you had any questions for Michelle or me, or had any thoughts you'd like to share about the material covered, please post them below. (Click on "Register" and then "Facebook" to log on with Facebook.)

This week's topics and the video recording are below:
First, Michelle will discuss the process for overcoming neuroplastic pain. She will discuss exposure and how we need exposure to the pain in order to overcome the fear of the pain. Then she will discuss how corrective experiences help us to unlearn the fear and replace it with a sense of safety. She will also talk about setbacks, and that they will happen, and that they are only temporary. In the last part of the first section, Michelle will discuss avoidance behaviors and when to use them.​

Then there will be breakout groups where members will be asked to talk about their own avoidance behaviors and what things they do that bring them relief when their pain is bad. After breakout groups, Forest will lead group members in a large group discussion where members will have a chance to share.​

After group sharing, Michelle will start putting the pieces of “The Process” together. She will discuss what to do when your pain is high and what to do when your pain is low or moderate. She will also discuss setbacks, extinction bursts, and how to use pain as an opportunity. Lastly, she will talk about the importance of trusting yourself and being gentle with yourself during the process of teaching your brain a new path.​

Then there will be one more breakout group, where group members will be asked to discuss ways they are not gentle with themselves in this process—the pressures, the criticisms, the intensity. They will also be asked how it would look if they were to shift their perspective to one of lightness, allowing, and curiosity. Then, Forest will lead group members in a large group discussion where members will have a chance to share their new perspectives.​

Finally, Michelle will recap the session and talk a little bit about what’s coming up next week—Chapter 7, how to break the high-alert habit.​

More information about the other chapters and the book group can be found at www.prtrecovery.org/group.

Last edited:

Shara75

I don’t remember the last time I laughed so hard! Watching STOP IT is something I think I’ll watch over and over again!
I wasn’t able to join yesterday. Thank you for recording the session. I agree with those who said using the word soothing is so much easier for me vs avoidance. I used to use a heating pad to relieve my pain, now I realize I use it mostly as a way to calm myself when I get into bed. I have to be conscious when I find myself thinking it’s to help the pain. My mind goes back and forth with this at times.

Zuz

Here is the hilarious Bob Newhart "Stop It!" video. Just take it as a little laugh...

Hahaha now that I getting not bad at catching my thousands of fear thoughts an hour 🙄 i might sometimes just try the STOP IT
I definitely feel like my ‘sabotage voice’ as I call it needs this from time to time. Thank you : laughter is a nice therapy :)

Zuz

Thank you for the book discussion. I just wanted to encourage people that perfection of this process is clearly not needed. I am definitely not outcome independent more then a few minutes a day and some days not at all. I go for soothing/ avoidance behaviours and actually permitting myself to take anti-inflammatoires during huge flare ups is a step in self care that I think helped my healing. I am still very afraid to get bedridden back pain again but it has now been a bit over a month that it has worked and I am back pain free! Now working on stomach pain and anxiety attacks but the back pain gone still feels like a miracle. Please be kind to yourself everyone, you definitely don’t need perfection to get better +++

Gina

Thank you for the book discussion. I just wanted to encourage people that perfection of this process is clearly not needed. I am definitely not outcome independent more then a few minutes a day and some days not at all. I go for soothing/ avoidance behaviours and actually permitting myself to take anti-inflammatoires during huge flare ups is a step in self care that I think helped my healing. I am still very afraid to get bedridden back pain again but it has now been a bit over a month that it has worked and I am back pain free! Now working on stomach pain and anxiety attacks but the back pain gone still feels like a miracle. Please be kind to yourself everyone, you definitely don’t need perfection to get better +++
Maybe there is hope for all of us. I do think that a lot of times we put too much pressure on ourselves to do everything perfect. Thanks Zuz for you post.

Forest

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone. Here is a video of our discussion of Chapter 6 on April 3, 2022. Check it out!

This is the second time we've run the discussion group. If there is a theme that really resonates with you, you can scroll up to see how it was discussed the first time. If not, keep your life simple... you are done for the week!

If you want to share a direct link to this video, you can use the social media share icon just above this post. Here is a direct link:
https://www.prtrecovery.org/threads/20/post-151
A "getting started" post for the group can be found here: http://prtrecovery.org/group