Book Group Chapter 1: Casey, Alan, and Boulder -- discussion of The Way Out by Alan Gordon

Forest

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE: THE RECORDING OF THE MOST RECENT BOOK GROUP CAN BE FOUND HERE:
https://www.prtrecovery.org/threads/10/post-137

Hello everyone,

Michelle and I hope you enjoyed the first meeting of the book group as much as we did!

We'd love to start a discussion thread below for Ch 1 (and for the other chapters in subsequent weeks). So if you had any questions for me or Michelle, or had any thoughts you'd like to share about the material covered, please post them below. (Click on "Register" and then "Facebook" to log on with Facebook.)

In particular...
  • Do you have any stories of when your pain switch has stayed in the 'on' position?
  • Did any studies particularly resonate with you?
  • Any other questions?

TimeTopic
0:00Welcome Back, Ground Rules, and Centering, with Michelle.
4:06Review of Neuroplastic Pain, with Michelle
8:20Member stories: "When my pain switch has stayed in the 'on' position," with Forest
19:33Review of the pain studies from chapter 1, with Michelle
25:33Member stories: "Studies that I resonated with," with Forest
34:16Conclusion, with Michelle

More information about the other chapters and the book group can be found at www.prtrecovery.org/group.

Last edited:

J Lo

Thanks so much for recording this and sharing. It is exciting to be part of a community that is figuring this out together. I don't feel alone and I know I'm not crazy or just making up my pain. What a relief that is!

Forest

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, @J Lo, thanks for posting. Yeah, I love the feeling of figuring it out together, too. We're all different, but we all "get it."

We're definitely not crazy, and we'll definitely get through this.

Hello everyone,

Michelle and I hope you enjoyed the first meeting of the book group as much as we did!

We'd love to start a discussion thread below for Ch 1 (and for the other chapters in subsequent weeks). So if you had any questions for me or Michelle, or had any thoughts you'd like to share about the material covered, please post them below. (Click on "Register" and then "Facebook" to log on with Facebook.)

In particular...
  • Do you have any stories of when your pain switch has stayed in the 'on' position?
  • Did any studies particularly resonate with you?
  • Any other questions?

TimeTopic
0:00Welcome Back, Ground Rules, and Centering, with Michelle.
4:06Review of Neuroplastic Pain, with Michelle
8:20Member stories: "When my pain switch has stayed in the 'on' position," with Forest
19:33Review of the pain studies from chapter 1, with Michelle
25:33Member stories: "Studies that I resonated with," with Forest
34:16Conclusion, with Michelle
Thank you so much for posting this and also thank you to the group members for sharing their experiences. My fight/flight/freeze/pain switch is NEVER off. I have life long history of depression and anxiety (and complex trauma) and over the years have developed chronic pain and other mind-body symptoms. There is a lot of unconscious triggers going on as well as conscious ones. I have tried many of the exercises and techniques suggested; however, it feels like I have no control over my symptoms.

MikeS

Yes, thank you to everyone who posted. It's nice to hear other people who get what it feels like. Karen, I absolutely know what you mean about having a fight/flight/freeze switch that is always on. I'm the same way. Taking care of this is my first priority.

I liked how Alan mentioned "pressure" as a source of the fear. I think that's how it works for me. I put myself under a huge amount of pressure. I don't know how to stop, though. It feels like life forces it.

Yes, thank you to everyone who posted. It's nice to hear other people who get what it feels like. Karen, I absolutely know what you mean about having a fight/flight/freeze switch that is always on. I'm the same way. Taking care of this is my first priority.

I liked how Alan mentioned "pressure" as a source of the fear. I think that's how it works for me. I put myself under a huge amount of pressure. I don't know how to stop, though. It feels like life forces it.
Thanks Mike. It's nice to feel validated.

Zuz

Thank you so much for posting this and also thank you to the group members for sharing their experiences. My fight/flight/freeze/pain switch is NEVER off. I have life long history of depression and anxiety (and complex trauma) and over the years have developed chronic pain and other mind-body symptoms. There is a lot of unconscious triggers going on as well as conscious ones. I have tried many of the exercises and techniques suggested; however, it feels like I have no control over my symptoms.
I understand. I have a hyperactive brain who often looks for multitasking. Great for work but also very fertile land for anxiety… i also had real dangers and reasons to live in fight/ flight most of my life. I realized last spring when learning about all this that I just don’t know how to feel safe or reassure myself: I have reassured my little brother and others by saying and acting something like „ don’t worry about problem x, I will take care about it”. Obviously does not work on myself!
I decided to take consultations with a therapist at the Pain Psychology Center. It seem to have really work on my 21 year old back pain ( knock on wood it seems to have worked being pain free for the last month and a half). Now my brain invents huge anxiety attacks for any little weird body sensation ( stomach, a little flu…). I hope we can work on that next.
Because I felt I did not know at all how to do it, I chose to get professionnal help. Hope you can find it also so you can teach this new safe way to your brain ++

Thank you Zuz for your understanding, kind words and encouragement. I congratulate you on finding the right therapist fit and approach and the amazing work you are doing to teach your brain it doesn't need to make pain in your back.

MlleButtercup

Administrator
Staff member
Start slowly and keep working at it. It will improve. I suggest starting with something simple like pausing during the day to relax and ground your body in the present moment. Remind your brain that you are safe in the here and now. Then, when you get good at that, add some deep, cleansing breaths. Exhale longer than you inhale. From there, take pauses during your day and start scanning your surroundings with your senses to find sensations that feel good or neutral to you. Lean into positive sensations.

I also have anxiety with pain and learning how to ground myself in the present has been the most useful tool for me. I wasn't able to do somatic tracking successfully until I learned to feel safe in the moment. This process isn't all that complicated, but it takes time, patience and self-compassion. You can do it!

MlleButtercup

Administrator
Staff member
At 29:23, Linda mentioned how “really illuminating” and “mind-blowing” it was to watch Lorimer Moseley’s TED talk about getting bitten by a snake. It’s a nice illustration of what Alan is teaching us about.

Here’s the video:
This is one of the easiest to understand explanations for how brains generate pain.

Forest

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone! Here is a video of our discussion of Chapter 1 on Feb 27, 2022. Check it out!

This is the second time we've run the discussion group. If there is a theme that really resonates with you, you can scroll up to see how it was discussed the first time. If not, keep your life simple... you are done for the week!

Things are busy for me right now, but it really was tremendous to get back with the group and be joining you on your healing journey.

If you want to share a direct link to this video, you can use the social media share icon just above this post. Here is a direct link:
https://www.prtrecovery.org/threads/10/post-137

Last edited: